Monday, October 19, 2009

Honest! This is NOT my fault.........

LeSan, over at BlueGate Garden, gave me this award.

That girl has a mean streak.

I am to tell you 10 true things about myself, and pass the challenge on to others (several, not sure how many, I will have to check on that). I am not sure that there are 10 true things about me that I care to discuss.


1. I have 6 kids, my Darling has one, and between us, we have 2 girls. It seems like you need more than 2 girls, just to keep the heirlooms in the family. You know, give them to the boys, they are probably going to let the DIL get them and be lost to our family forever. Seven kids in one house, all related, will either make you, or break you. You be the judge.

2. I didn't garden in my youth, but I feel I have made up for it lately. I only started to garden to supplement our food allotment, way back when we were newlyweds. Wow, when I think of all the money I have saved.......

3. I am a pack rat, and to compound the problem, I married a pack rat. I should have paid attention to the Chinese calendar thingie that said "Stay away from pack rats!" We have pathways in the garden, 'trails' in the house, and we say just about every day..."We need to get rid of some of this stuff!"

4. LeSan saved a person's life once. I did too. I delivered a little baby for my neighbor. Three pounds, one ounce she weighed. Well, maybe I didn't save her life, she was going to get here anyway.....

5. I am a Texas Master Gardener, have been for 11 years. I don't know why or how it has kept me interested for that long, but it has. I think it has to do with my 'Quest for Knowledge' drive. If I get interested in something, I am going to learn all I can about it. I guess I have not learned all I need to know yet. I know enough now to be dangerous.....

6. My daughter used to come to me when she was a teenager, and say, "Mom, I need to talk to you". I would cringe and say to myself, "Not today...Lets talk tomorrow" My Daughter was a very truthful little girl, I never knew what she was going to tell me! Like once, she wanted me to talk to her friend, Susan. "Because Susan is going to get in trouble! She is sneaking out of the house at night, meeting Matt"....... just made my head swirl around and around. I always worried that I was a bad mama, for not welcoming her 'talks' more.....

7. I have my whole yard planned. My Darling doesn't know this, he thinks the yard is finished. It might be finished in .....well, probably not in my lifetime. My Darling mutters under his breath that his next wife is not going to be a gardener. He doesn't know I have heard him......

8. I like cats, but I love dogs. We have so far been lucky that our dogs have reached old age. This year, we lost our 15 year old Blue Heeler/ Lab cross pair, Bart and Lisa Simpson. They were siblings, and I can confidently tell you that you really don't want 2 pups from the same litter. I loved these two, but I need to take someone with me if I ever go to look at puppies again. Now, we have a Boxer, and a cat. The Boxer is about 5 years old, and the cat, 5 months old. This cat was born the same day our old (20 years old) cat died. Just a bit of coincidental trivia there....

9. I love to read. I have my nose in a book all the time. I have been stuck on John Grisham for the longest time now, but I think I am about out of books by him. I love to read true murder/crime stories. I read a lot of gardening books too, and my favorites are the AHS books and propagation books. My Darling has no idea that some of these books were expensive.

10. I always said that you couldn't give me a computer. I didn't have one, didn't want one. Then, I got elected Secretary of our Master Gardener Association, and I needed a computer. So, My Darling said to go ahead and get one.....He was confident I would only want to use it to do the minutes of our meetings. NOW, I have two desktops, and a laptop. Darling has a desktop, which I have to maintain, which is difficult. He is not allowed on my computers, as his taste in sites and mine differ substantially.

O.K. that is mine. Now, let's see.....

I would like to hear from....

Catherine @ A Gardener in Progress

Esther @ Esther's Boring Garden Blog

Debra @ Aunt Debbi's Garden


Sue Swift @ The Balcony Garden


Grace Peterson @ Gardening With Grace

Debra Howard @ Behind My Garden Gate


Amy @ Go Away- I'm Gardening!

Nell Jean @ Secrets of a Seed Scatterer

Well, none of them live very close to me. I do hope all who read this will go over and visit every one of these blogs. They are diverse, very interesting, charming, and I learn something every time I venture 'over there'.

And lastly, (is that a word?) don't forget to visit LeSan over at BlueGate Gardens. Just don't forget about that mean streak.....

12 comments:

Chloe m said...

I enjoyed reading these. You are a very interesting person! I said the same thing about computers too. Now look at me. ugggh.
Rosey

Nutty Gnome said...

LeSan nominated me too - so I came over for a nosey at your blog!I've really enjoyed reading all your posts - I too was not a make Himself cringes when I mutter about my plans for the terrace, the front 'island', the area near the gate, the veg garden....! :)

Diana Studer said...

Fell over this on Blotanical recently. A garden that is finished, is dead.

Jean Campbell said...

You want me to do what? You are a hard act to follow.

Scott & Liz said...

Janie,I recall my disdain for computers all to well, then came mid school aged children and the rest is history. By the way does this mean you hve a scrappy streak in ya?
Scott

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

It was fun learning more about you. Sounds like you've had a full busy house with kids and pets! I think it's better not to tell our husbands garden plans. Just surprising them works best :)
I'll do my best to come up with 10 things about me, but I might be slow :) Thanks for thinking of me.

Thomas said...

hahaha...Thanks for sharing! These awards are like the mondern day chain letter!

LeSan said...

I am so late to this party. OMG you are too funny! You have the most wonderful sense of humor. The word that comes to mind most is Delightful. Ok, cue big cheesy grin.
Seriously? You delivered a baby? Wow. That must have been quite an experience! Yup, you done saved two peoples lives with that one.

These were great bite sized fun facts and I really enjoyed learning about you. Thank you for making this so much fun! :-)

Amy said...

I was laughing as I read your post because I could relate! I am up to the challenge and I will post mine in a few days. Thanks for your kind words and mentioning me. :)

Esther Montgomery said...

I'll try, Janie. I'll try.

. . . but this is the fourth meme I've got in hand and one of them is the same as this one . . .

. . . And I think there are others I've left behind somewhere . . .

I do feel chuffed to be named though. Really kind of you. I'll see what I can do . . .

It's autumn . . . that should breath some energy into my imagination. (It generally does!)

Esther

Jean Campbell said...

Okay, so as not to disappoint -- this time -- I am posting 10 things about me in a short true- fiction paragraph, then 10 things I like about the blogs of others, which IMHO is much more interesting.

The Meme stopped with me. I cannot ask others to use time they could be posting marvelous garden photos to think of something to say, or to tell us about their world travels and gratuitous honors, which they will do anyway without my prompting.

I read a meme recently where the blogger used the alphabet as a prompt. I was stuck, on A. My schedule is off and now you have to wait until next week to hear what I think about Cornus florida.

Sue Swift said...

Wow - have only just got round to checking out the message you left me (busy week) and what do I find .... ten hmmm? I'll have to get thinking..