Wednesday, January 16, 2008

It's about that time again...

By this time next week, I should have all my roses whacked back. It is a bit early, but I don't want to chance not getting it done. I left some last year, and they were not attractive all year. Not attractive at all!

I have a lot of roses. Once upon a time I had over 60, most of which were Hybrid Teas, but thankfully, they have (most of them) died. I do still have 2 of the RED roses planted along the back fence that were planted 10 years ago. One is 'Fame' the other 'Chrysler Imperial'. I will leave them to come to a natural demise, then replace them with something. Maybe a rose, probably not.

When I cut the roses this year, I am going to take a few cuttings to begin with, and get that out of the way. Then I am bringing out the chainsaw. I cut them all to just above-knee height, and load all the cut canes on the truck to go to the brush site. Then I can come in with my nice sharp secateurs (fancy word for pruning shears, LOL. I love that word.) and trim the rest of the 'Ds'. Cut the dinky, diseased, deformed, and dead. leave the best 5-7 canes, and pull all the leaves. Be sure you cut cleanly just above an outward facing bud or node. Clean up all the debris under the bushes; REMOVE IT! This stuff can harbor virii and diseases that can/will attack your roses. Do not feed until March, when we are not in much danger for a frost.

You all know this isn't all of it, but that is the basic program for here. In a couple of weeks, new beautiful foliage will appear, and the race for Sping will be on! I love Spring!

No comments: