Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Is it too late to learn to cook?

I go to read about cooking at Ohiomom's blog, http://cookingincleveland.blogspot.com/, and I always learn something.

I cooked when I was young. I made all the bread that was consumed in my home at one time. Then I got divorced, and that stopped.

I have 6 children, so I had to cook. But I did enjoy it, back then. I was much better at it then.

I think one thing is that I still refuse to do the convenience thing, but I don't want to take the time to make the good stuff. I certainly don't NEED to eat, and would benefit from being left alone on an island with nothing but low-cal vegetation on it. For about 3 months would be about right.

But..that is not going to happen.

I think I can learn from Ohiomom.

One thing I want to know; Why is brown sugar always measured 'packed'? I was reading about making the "Blueberry Crisp", and noticed that the brown sugar has to be packed.

And I remembered it was always thus.

1 comment:

OhioMom said...

Thanks Janie, I think for me it is like your love of plants ... they respond to love and caring.

I simply love to cook, always have :) Sometimes I rely on old favorites and other times I like to experiment with something new.

The apples we had this year are reminiscent of the ones we ate as children .. but you know this, you have to admit the produce from your own garden is better isn't it ?

I plan on learning how to can come Spring ... lol ... another new adventure for me.

Brown Sugar ? I really don't know why it is packed, like you said every recipe I have ever followed calls for it.